If it looks like it needs to consolidate and especially if volume is hinting at a pullback. It’s best to be a little patient and wait for a retest of the 50dma before adding or entering.
I.e. Gold in April and May. I had the right idea but I could have saved myself thousands of losses as it pulled back to the 50 and could have gained thousands more by buying at the 50.